Assertivity Review from Self-Concept and Emotion Regulation in Student of The Faculty of Psychology, Prima Indonesia University

Sri Hartini, Veronica Prasetio, Willie Jonathan, Chris Alfiany Marbun, Annike Annike


The purpose of this study was to examine and determine the effect of self-concept and emotion regulation on assertiveness. The sample of this study amounted to 198 students from the Faculty of Psychology, University of Prima Indonesia with the method of proportionate stratified random sampling. Collecting data in this study used an assertiveness scale consisting of 25 items, a self-concept scale consisting of 24 items, and an emotional regulation scale consisting of 23 items. The results of this study indicate that there is an influence between self-concept and emotional regulation on assertiveness with the test value of F = 45,153 and sig = 0,000. The results showed that there was a positive influence between self-concept and assertiveness which was supported by the beta coefficient value of 0,446 and sig. 0,000 (p < 0,01), and there is a positive influence between emotion regulation on assertiveness with a beta coefficient of 0,196 and sig. 0,004 (p < 0,01). The research data were analyzed using the correlation method of multiple linear regression analysis. The results showed that the effective contribution given by self-concept and emotional regulation to assertiveness was 31 percent and the remaining 69 percent was influenced by other factors not examined.


Assertiveness; self-concept; emotional regulation; college student

Full Text:



Acocella, JR, & Calhoun, JF (2013). Psychology of adjustment and human relationships. London: McGraw Hill.

Agustiani, H. (2016). Developmental psychology: Developmental ecology is related to self-concept and adjustment in adolescents. Bandung: Refika Aditama.

Ainsyiyah, E. et al. (2020). Pancasila and Civic Education Learning by Non Pancasila and Civic Education Program Graduate. Budapest International Research and Critics Institute-Journal (BIRCI-Journal). P. 1650-1659.

Alberti, RE, & Emmons, ML (2017). Your perfect right: A practical guide to living more expressively and being true to yourself. Jakarta: Elex Media Komputindo.

Anfajaya, MA, & Indrawati, ES (2016). The relationship between self-concept and assertive behavior in organizational students of the Faculty of Law, Diponegoro University, Semarang. Journal of Empathy, 5(3), 529–532.

Ayu, WT (2020). Self-concept, emotion regulation and assertiveness in students. Philanthropy Journal of Psychology, 4(1), 25–33.

Azwar, S. (2014). Validity and Reliability. Yogyakarta: Student Library.

Dzikran, A. (2018). Be yourself: A guide to building character and self-confidence. Tangerang: Alphabet Library.

Gross, JJ (2014). Handbook of emotion regulation (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.

Hurlock, EB (2013). Developmental psychology: An approach across the life span. Jakarta: Erlangga.

Krisnawati, E. (2018). The relationship between democratic parenting and assertive behavior in students of the Faculty of Economics and Business, Soegijapranata Catholic University, Semarang (Thesis). From:

Makdori, Y. (2019, July 29). Nunung admitted that he used drugs because he was influenced by his friends. Coverage6. From:

Ridho, R. (2020, October 8). The story is that a junior high school student was forced to take part in a demonstration and was threatened with execution. Compass. From:

Saputri, L. (2019). Assertiveness training to increase assertiveness in adolescents at the Protection and Rehabilitation Center X Yogyakarta (Thesis). From:

Sarwono, SW (2003). Adolescent psychology. Jakarta: PT Raja Grafindo Persada.

Silaen, AC, & Dewi, KS (2015). The relationship between emotion regulation and assertiveness (correlation study on students at SMA Negeri 9 Semarang). Journal of Empathy, 4(2), 175–181.

Sugiyono. (2013). Research methods: Quantitative, qualitative, and R&D. Bandung: CV. Alphabet.

Widiarti, PW (2017). Self-concept and interpersonal communication in mentoring junior high school students in the city of Yogyakarta. Journal of Information Communication Studies, 47(1), 135–148.

Yusuf, PM, & Kristiana, IF (2017). Relationship between emotion regulation and prosocial behavior in high school students. Journal of Empathy, 7(3), 98–104.

Zulkarnain, I., Asmara, S., & Sutatminingsih, R. (2020). Forming self-concept through speech culture: An overview of communication psychology. Medan: Puspantara.


Article Metrics

Abstract view : 97 times
PDF - 36 times


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.